This is a hearty and delicious protein-loaded kale salad that is more than enough for for a hungry couple (me and my boyfriend tested it on empty stomaches) to eat for dinner! Whoever said salads aren’t satisfying never tried this!
- 1 small bunch kale of choice
- 5 small mushrooms -button, crimini or shitake, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup almonds, slivered or chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Umeboshi Plum Vinegar*
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Togarashi to garnish
- Saute vegis: Warm up 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan and sweat onions on medium-high heat. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes, or until onions smell like heaven and are beginning to slightly brown. Add in ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add in mushrooms, tamari and almonds, adding more oil if necessary so mushrooms do not dry out. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until mushrooms are thoroughly cooked. Salt and pepper if needed.
- Massage kale: De-stem, rinse, and tear into bite sized pieces. Coat with remaining olive oil and massage, gently yet forcefully, until kale has reduced in size to almost half its original size.
- Assemble salad: Combine sauteed vegis with kale, ume vinegar, and avocado. Mix well, adding more vinegar or salt and pepper if desired.
- Poach eggs: On stove in a shallow pan heat up 3 cups of water, and 1 tablespoon vinegar of choice (I use the cheap stuff for this) until water is simmering rapidly, but not yet boiling. Gently break eggs into the water one at at time. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until eggs are set but yolk is still soft. Remove from water.
- Finish: Divide salad into bowls and top with poached egg. Garnish with togarashi sprinkle.
*Never tried Ume Plum Vinegar? It’s my favorite for kale salads! You can find it at most health food stores or asian supermarkets. Look for this bottle.
**1st photo by Tracy Benjamin (the other two were taken with my iphone tonight just before the salad was devoured)