Vegan Holiday Salad with Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, Kale, and Spiced Pepitas
This Fall when More Pleaze was asked to cater a California ranch wedding we put together a custom five course vegetarian menu showcasing the freshest farmer’s market menu. This salad was our favorite and I’ve since replicated it for a handful of yoga retreats. This vegan holiday salad transitions seamlessly from Autumn to Winter and is sure to be a hit at any holiday dinner.
Have fun with the edible flowers and feel free to substitute any squash – including pumpkin – for the butternut squash. If you don’t like spicy substitute cumin or cinnamon for the cayenne on the pumpkin seeds.
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb kale, de-stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces (about 5-6 cups)
- 1 pomegranate, seeded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup edible flowers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice or 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 dash cumin
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Prep butternut squash, kale, and pomegranate.
- On combine butternut squash cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange evenly on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven.
- In the meantime combine pumpkin seeds with 1 teaspoon olive oil, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Spread onto a pan and bake for 10-15 minutes or until seeds begin to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a blender or mason jar combine 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon, ginger, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Combine and sample. Adjust seasonings as needed. In a large bowl, combine kale with 2 tablespoons dressing, salt, and pepper. Massage lightly until kale is evenly coated with oil and begins to wilt slightly. Taste and add more dressing if des
- Assemble salad. Toss kale with half of butternut squash, pomegranate, and pumpkin seeds. Garnish with remaining ingredients and edible flowers.
Serves 4 dinner salads or 6 starter salads.